- August 24, 2021
- Posted by: Clearport Team
- Categories: College and University, General, Student Mobility
The University of Northern British Columbia (UNBC) at Prince George offers 4 affordable Master’s Degrees that are excellent options for those seeking economical study program options, strong academic credentials, and a Post-Graduation Work Permit in Canada.
These four programs can be completed in 2 years. Total annual School Fees for each of these programs are under CAD $7,000, so these Master’s Degrees in Canada are highly affordable!
In these programs, you actually study 3 Semesters per year, with 2 options to graduate: with just coursework, or with a Thesis.
Total Annual cost of each of these Master’s Degree programs in Canada is an affordable CAD $6,879. This total includes a one-time Application fee of CAD $153.00, an annual Tuition of CAD $5,248.00, and other annual School Fees of CAD $1,478.
These 4 programs are:
- Master of Science – Computer Science.
- Master of Natural Resources and Environmental Studies.
- Master of Arts – Development Economics.
- Master of Science – Chemistry.
Graduates from these affordable Master’s Degrees in Canada are in demand, so they will have various employment opportunities after graduation.
Why Study One of these 4 Master’s Degrees
- Affordability: At under $7,000 per year, Tuition and School Fees for each of these Master’s Degrees programs in Canada are among the most affordable.
- Great Quality of Education: The University of Northern British Columbia (UNBC) offers great quality of education through these competitive-entry, demanding postgraduate study programs. A Master’s credential obtained from a Canadian research-focused superior education institution is highly valued around the world. Also, UNBC has consistently ranked at the top of Canada’s small universities in Canada through the last decade (see below).
- Work while you Study: Because these are full-time programs and UNBC is a Designated Learning Institution (DLI), you can work part-time while you study (up to 20 hours per week). This makes studying a Master’s Degree in Canada even more affordable.
- Post-Graduation Work Permit and potential Permanent Residence: After completing any of these 2-year, full-time Master’s Degrees, you will be able to apply for a 3-year Post-Graduation Work Permit that allows you to work anywhere in Canada, for any employer. After you graduate and once you gain 1 year of full-time Canadian work experience (and meet other requirements), you can apply for Permanent Residence in Canada.
- Your Spouse gets a Work Permit while you Study: When you enrol as a full-time International Student in a graduate study program offered by a Designated Learning Institution, your spouse can apply for an Open Work Permit. This way, your spouse can work full- or part-time with any employer in Canada! By allowing your spouse to work, a Master’s Degree in Canada becomes more affordable for your family, while also give your spouse the opportunity to gain valuable Canadian work experience.
- These are Degrees in Demand: All these study programs align with global and Canadian market trends that are driving employment needs now and in the immediate future.
Top-10 Reasons to Study at the University of Northern British Columbia (UNBC)
- Affordability: Again, with total Tuition and School Fees under CAD $7,000 per year, these Master’s Degree programs in Canada uniquely affordable!
- Leading University Ranking: In 2015, and 2016, the University of Northern British Columbia (UNBC) earned the top “Small University in Canada” ranking by Maclean’s, a prestigious Canadian publication. Since then, UNBC has consistently ranked in the top three Small Universities in Canada for the last ten years.
- Research Focus: UNBC is the second-newest university in Canada and one of the research-intensive Universities in British Columbia. It also is a degree-granting institution and a sponsor for several research institutes, with regional teaching centers in various communities in the Province. As an institution, UNBC focuses on teaching, discovery, people, the environment, and the North. It brings its students the excitement of new knowledge, and offers the outcomes of its teaching and research to the world.
- Great Faculty and Small Class Size: UNBC’s study programs are taught by an award-winning faculty. The University of Northern British Columbia also has the smallest class sizes of any research-intensive university in western Canada.
- Study Program Variety: UNBC provides outstanding undergraduate and graduate learning opportunities. The University of Northern British Columbia offers a total of 55 Under-Graduate programs, 15 Master’s Degree programs, and 2 Doctoral (PhD) programs. It also offers (jointly with the University of British Columbia) the Northern Medical Program, aimed at easing the shortage of Medical doctors in the north of the Province. UNBC’s study programs explore cultures, health, economies, sciences, and the environment.
- Green University: UNBC is renowned as Canada’s Green University™; it has undertaken a leadership role to a more sustainable future for Canada as a whole.
- Regional Focus: UNBC is not only a University in the North, but also for the North. The students, alumni, faculty, staff, and communities served by UNBC share a strong sense of ownership, purpose, and adventure in and for the region.
- Student Life: UNBC has a Student Life department that focuses on developing and implementing fun, supportive and social student activities, to engage its diverse student population and enhance their studying experience. UNBC has dozens of Clubs that are run by students, CIS-level varsity athletics teams, intramural tournaments and activities, and many outdoor activities that take advantage of the outstanding nature that surrounds it.
- Commitment to International Education and Diversity: UNBC is one of Canada’s best small, research-intensive universities and an active participant in the global community. Its commitment to International Education is engraved in the teaching, research, and service missions of UNBC. The University of Northern British Columbia fosters academic excellence, and is also a welcoming place with a friendly, inclusive, diverse, and supportive learning environment.
- Location and Small Size: In the 2019–20 academic year, 3,570 students were enrolled at UNBC. Its main campus is located at Prince George, British Columbia, a small urban area with a population of about 75,000. Prince George is the largest city in northern British Columbia, and because it is the hub city for Northern BC, it is also called the “Northern Capital” of that Province. Aside of its spectacular natural surroundings, Prince George boasts many recreation facilities, including 116 playgrounds and parks, baseball, soccer, and lacrosse fields, eight golf courses, tennis courts, ice rinks and roller rinks, a modern Aquatic Centre, plus an older swimming pool and a 6,000-seat multipurpose arena called the CN Centre. For those that like hiking, there is an 11 km riverfront system of urban trails called the Heritage Trails. Downhill, Cross-Country Heli Skiing are available in 4 regional provincial parks. (Source: Wikipedia)
Working while Studying in Canada
Many International Students want to work while studying in Canada to help cover some expenses and/or to gain valuable work experience and build their Resumes. This makes Master’s Degrees in Canada even more affordable.
You will need to be enrolled in a full-time Post-Secondary Study Program at a Designated Learning Institution (or DLI), such as the University of Northern British Columbia.
While you are studying in Canada, you can work part-time while you study, up to 20 hours per week during each study term, and full-time during vacations and official school breaks.
If the Letter of Acceptance (LOA) from your Post-Secondary Designated Learning Institution indicates that Work Experience (such as a Co-op or Internship) is part of your Study Program, you may be able to work more than 20 hours per week during each term, in which case you may be issued a Study Permit and a Work Permit.
In any case, these documents will define if you are allowed to work off- or on-campus and for how many hours per week.
Become a Clearport Study-Work Concierge Member, and we will help you in every step, from choosing an affordable Master’s Degree program in Canada to preparing and submitting your School and Study Permit applications.
Why Study in Canada?
Canada is among the Top-3 Education destinations in the World for International Students, according to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Per the Canadian Bureau for International Education (CBIE), 530,540 International Students attended School in Canada even during COVID-19, in the 2020 school year. According to Statistics Canada, International students accounted for all the growth in Post-Secondary enrolments in 2018/2019, and International Student enrolments in formal programs in Canada more than tripled over a 10-year period.
There is great demand to study in Canada!
The top 3 reasons why International Students choose Canada are:
|1. Canada’s quality of life and quality of education|
|2. Its reputation as a safe country|
|3. Its tolerant, non-discriminatory society|
Other advantages of a Master’s Degree in Canada include that:
|· International Students can work part-time in Canada while they study a full-time accredited program at a designated Post-Secondary institution (DLI).|
|· Upon graduating, International Students may also be eligible to obtain a Post-Graduation Work Permit, based on the length of their study program (up to a maximum of 3 years).|
|· Canada offers great Employment opportunities for International Students that complete a Master’s Degree in Canada.|
|· Canada offers more affordable Tuition and Cost of Living costs than the U.S., the United Kingdom, Australia, and other countries. Master’s Degrees in Canada are also more affordable than those in these countries.
Can I Bring My Family With Me While I Study?
If you have a spouse (you are married or live in a common-law union), you may want to bring your spouse with you when you come to study in Canada. If you have children, you and your spouse may want to bring them with you.
This must be clearly indicated in your Study Permit Application, and the Visa Officers will take it into consideration. Remember, if you apply to bring your spouse and/or children with you, you will need to provide Proof of Funds demonstrating that you have enough funds available to cover not only your personal living expenses, but also those of the family members that come along with you to Canada. This is another reason to choose an affordable Master’s Degree program in Canada.
You can see here the amount of funds required by the Government of Canada by number of family members.
Can My Spouse Work in Canada While I Study?
If your Study Permit Application includes your spouse and children, and if it is approved, your spouse will receive an Open Work Permit to work Full-Time in Canada, and -depending on their age- your children will receive Study Permits to study Grade School. Having this additional income will make studying a Master’s Degree in Canada more affordable for you and your family.
You can book an Immigration Consultation with our Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants to learn more.
Can I Stay in Canada After I Graduate?
Yes. You can apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) after you graduate, and you must do it immediately after graduating. A PGWP will allow you to stay in Canada and work for up to 3 years after graduating from a 2-year program.
Can I Apply for Permanent Residence if I Graduated from a Canadian College or University?
Yes. After working in Canada under a Post-Graduation Work Permit for a minimum of 1 year (or equivalent number of hours), you can apply for Permanent Residence in Canada.
Can Clearport Help Me With The Whole Study Application Process?
Yes, we can. Since 2008, we help International Students to come to study in Canada.
Post-Secondary Schools in Canada offer great programs that are recognized worldwide, ranging from Diplomas, Advanced Diplomas or Certificates, to full Bachelor degrees, Master degrees and PhDs. They also provide strong support for International Students.
You will broaden your horizons with a true international experience and make new friends from Canada and all over the world. We can help make this life-changing experience come true bye recommending an affordable Master’s Degree program in Canada.
Our Two types of Memberships give you the level of service and value that you want as an International Student:
Basic Student Membership:
This is an economical Self-Service option that gives you access to our world-class online tools to choose the right school and apply to it; it also gives you access to SRT, our English Assessment and Improvement tool, to assess if your English level meets school requirements, and to improve it with a free Personalized Learning Plan without additional cost.
Our Basic Student Membership is great value, saving you time and money vs the months it can take you to do all the school research and prepare a school application on your own.
Student Concierge Membership:
Our Student Concierge Membership gives you Convenience and all the Peace of Mind you and your family need. With our Student Concierge Membership, you get access to our fully personalized service, including one-on-one calls with our Education Consultants and step-by-step assistance in: School and Study Program research, review, and selection, including costs and requirements; School & Visa application processes; Housing arrangements; Budget preparation; and more, even 24/7 emergency support while studying in Canada.
Our Student Concierge Membership also gives you access to SRT, our English Assessment & Improvement tool, to meet the English level required by your school of choice.
Click below to watch a short video and learn more about our Student Mobility Services to study in Canada!
Can Clearport Also Help Me With the Study Visa / Permit and Work Permit Process?
Yes, with our Student Concierge Membership, as explained above.
Also, if you are unsure whether to apply to Study or to Work in Canada, or want to have specific Immigration information and assistance to Study and Work in Canada, our In-House Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs) can explain the requirements and take you through the process of applying for a Study Permit that allows you to work while you study. Book an Immigration Consultation, and we will help you define your situation and best strategy. Our Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants will guide you with qualified, professional Immigration Advise.
An Immigration Consultation can save you time and money by providing the professional guidance you require from a well-prepared, certified Team of ICCRC-regulated consultants.
Please beware of advice from “immigration consultants” that are not regulated or in good standing. Only a Certified Canadian Immigration Consultant in good standing with the ICCRC can offer consultancy services for applications to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
Rui Jiang, RCIC # R530523 | Dongkai Li, RCIC # R522600
And remember, these programs are only 4 options and only in one University; we can help you find an affordable Master’s Degree program in Canada that matches your preferences, needs and budget, so become a Student Concierge Member or book an Immigration Consultation.
We are Your Door to Canada!