Great News! Canada Reopens Borders for Vaccinated Workers Sept 7

With 80% of its Eligible Population Vaccinated, Canada will Open Borders for Eligible, Fully-Vaccinated Workers on September 7

This is great news! The Government of Canada recently announced that the country will re-open borders to fully vaccinated non-essential travelers on September 7. If you want to come to Canada to Work, the time is coming, so you need to prepare.

Unemployment goes down, labour shortages that existed before COVID will persist, and the Economy recovers. This will create the need (again) for Temporary Foreign Workers.

As indicated by several sources in Canada, unemployment will decrease rapidly as COVID-related restrictions are eased or lifted altogether, borders reopen, and the economy bounces back. This means that the demand for workers will increase sharply, particularly in those sectors and kinds of jobs that many Canadians are not that interested in. After COVID restrictions are lifted, Temporary Foreign Workers will continue to fill growing gaps of Canada’s aging population, as they historically have. This is great news for many Employers that just cannot find workers, and for many Temporary Foreign Workers that have skills highly demanded in Canada.

As a Worker, you can start preparing now to come to Canada. Become a Clearport Member! Create your Worker Profile, add your Resume to our database, get SRT to assess and improve your English, and apply to Jobs!

Click on the image to become a Clearport Worker Member. 

Click on the image to become a Clearport Member

Unemployment Decreases

According to the June 2021 Labour Force Survey from Statistics Canada, as Canada starts lifting or easing COVID-related restrictions, unemployment went down in the country compared to May 2021:

“Employment rebounds in June as some restrictions are lifted. Employment rose by 231,000 (+1.2%) in June… The unemployment rate fell 0.4 percentage points to 7.8%… as the total number of unemployed Canadians fell by 61,000 (3.7%)”

Source: June 2021 Labour Force Survey, Statistics Canada

This is already great news. As an example, some other key data from the same source about employment rates in June vs May 2021 indicate that the Retail and the Accommodation and Food industries will offer more job opportunities as Canada reopens its borders. Some highlights from the June 2021 Labour Force Survey from Statistics Canada are:

  • The accommodation and food services industry added 101,000 jobs, +11.8%.
  • The number of people in the labour force grew by 170,000, +0.8%. (this includes those employed and those unemployed but looking for a job).
  • The number of people that were employed but worked less than half their usual hours decreased by 276,000, -19.3%.

“41,000 more Chinese Canadians and 31,000 more Filipino Canadians were employed in June.”

Source: June 2021 Labour Force Survey, Statistics Canada

In its April “What to make of the Canadian Job Data” report, CIBC Capital Markets says that “what the data remind us is that sectors like retailing and other services are very labour intensive. If, by year end, progress against COVID allows us to have bars, gyms, and restaurants up and running, and more hotel rooms and plane seats fille”… we could quickly see a great drop in unemployment rates.

Right now, based on the January 2019-June 2021 trendline, Canada has a gap of about 850,000 jobs, according to Acus Consulting.

Canada has a Great Jobs Gap and the News is It Can Grow Quickly

Source: Acus Report, June 13, 2021, by Acus Consulting, with data from Statistics Canada

Although the Canadian economy started a recovery in the second part of last year, the June 2021 unemployment rate still shows that about 850 Thousand jobs need to be filled. That is a great gap to fill in Canada, but the news is that this gap can grow even larger, and quickly, if the economic recovery exceeds expectations or happens more quickly than anticipated.

It is clear that many of these jobs will have to be filled by Temporary Foreign Workers as borders reopen. As restrictions continue to be lifted in Canada and the economy improves, many Canadians will continue to pursue different interests than their pre-pandemic jobs, which will increase Employers’ demand and the number of positions to fill.

As already mentioned, Canada will continue to need Temporary Foreign Workers for various reasons, including Canada’s aging population, as well as a continued disconnect betwee the jobs actually available (demand) and those that Canadians want to do (career preference).

Labour Shortages that existed before COVID will Persist, and Potentially Grow

In a recent article, Canada’s Financial Post says that unemployment, which increased due to the COVID pandemic, did not actually start with it The article comments about various sources that confirm this. For example, it mentions that the Bank of Canada’s 2021 Spring Business Outlook Survey indicates that labour constraints preceding COVID are starting to return, and that businesses are still struggling to find workers for the same types of jobs than before COVID, like skilled trades and technology. The article quotes Jennifer Lee, Senior Economist for BMO Economics, saying that “many firms expect these constraints to persist”.

The Financial Post’s article continues to point out that all surveys evidence that finding workers that are qualified, or actually any workers, is among the biggest hurdles for businesses in Canada.

As another example, the articles mentions that CFIB, the Canadian Federation of Independent Business, says that 38% of surveyed businesses reported difficulties to hire skilled workers, and that this is most common barrier to growth in terms of sales or production.

The Financial Post’s article explains that newer generations of Canadian students are preferring to opt for a University degree rather than enrolling in Trade Apprenticeships and College Trade-oriented courses. This indicates that Canada will face growing labour shortages in jobs in the trades, such as carpenters, electricians, plumbers, and many more.

Temporary Foreign Workers Will Play a Key Role

Importantly, as indicated by the Financial Post’s article, Immigration has historically allowed Canada to fill gaps not only in the construction industry but also in many others. As mentioned in the article, for example, many Provinces across Canada are desperate for service workers as they lift restrictions.  Once borders reopen in Canada, Temporary Foreign Workers will start filling those needs.

In an excellent article (“How to build a better Canada after COVID-19: Rethinking immigration can boost the economy”) published online by The Conversation, the author, Anna Triandafyllidou, points out that Immigration is a key strategy to address Canada’s aging population and declining domestic birthrate. Triandafyllidou, appointed Canada Research Excellence Chair in Migration and Integration in 2019 by Ryerson University, indicates in her article that:

“Canada faces a potential crisis if its borders remain closed to people for a prolonged period of time”

Source: The Conversation

As shown in her article, the Government of Canada has acknowledged that Immigration is crucial for Canada’s future, in particular for economic growth. When the Government announced its Immigration Plan in 2018, it set ambitious goals, including 341,000 new immigrants in 2020 and 350,000 in 2021. These goals have not been met. As Canada reopens its borders, more Temporary Foreign Workers will start flowing into the country and the number of new immigrants will grow.

75% of Canada’s population growth comes from Immigration. 5 Million Canadians will retire in 2035, but they will not be able to do so without economic and population growth supported by Immigration.

Immigration Canada

Source: IRCC Canada

The pause imposed by COVID in many economic activities is temporary. Without Immigration, long-term population trends will slow down the Canadian economy. As Canada reopens its borders, Immigration will help boost the economy.

Click on the image to become a Clearport Worker Member. 

Click on the image to become a Clearport Member

As a Member, you Get SRT for Free!

SRT is our English, Numeracy and Document Use Assessment and Development Tool.

For Temporary Foreign Workers whose first language is not English, SRT offers great value!

With SRT, you get:

  • Fully online testing, immediate Scores, Certification, and a Personalized Learning Plan.
  • SRT Assesses your English Skills, plus Numeracy and Document Use.
  • SRT precisely detects any areas where you have gaps and need to improve.
  • SRT also gives you a Free Online Learning Plan, which will help you to improve your English and targets only those areas where you have deficiencies.
  • Once you tested once, SRT allows you to re-test at no extra cost to measure your progress.
  • You can upload your English Scores to your Profile in our database, making you a more atractive Candidate for Employers in Canada to interview and select.

And while you come to Canada, you can work on improving your English: Test, Improve and Re-Test for Success!

You will need some command of English if you want to work in Canada and succeed. With our Membership, you get access to SRT to test and improve your English. Use SRT anytime, anywhere, from a PC, Laptop or Notebook (not available for tablets or smartphones).

SRT will help you to know where exactly is your English at, what to do to improve it, and will give you the tools to do so. Be ready to be interviewed by Employers in Canada, and to succeed once you are selected to start working here!

Some Frequently Asked Questions About Working in Canada.

We include below a list of questions that many Workers have asked about coming to Work in Canada, with clear, straightforward, and FREE answers for you.

What Are the Benefits of Working in Canada?

You will be working in a safe, non-discriminatory society that has good quality of living, excellent education and health care systems, and where the law protects you. Canadian laws are in place to ensure that your Employer will pay you at least the Median Wage that a Canadian would make in the same occupation in the same City or Town, and that you will enjoy safe working standards.

If you are eligible, depending on the program that you applied under to work in Canada, your spouse may qualify to receive an Open Work Permit, and your children may receive Study Permits.

After you have been in the country and gained some Canadian work experience, you may be eligible to apply for Permanent Residence in Canada.

What is a Canadian Work Permit?

It is a document that allows you to legally Work in Canada. A Work Permit is different from a Visa.

Who needs a Work Permit to Work in Canada?

In general, anyone that is not a Canadian Citizen, or a Canadian Permanent Resident, needs a valid Work Permit to work in Canada. A valid Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) and Work Permit give the person status as a Temporary Foreign Worker in Canada.

There are only a few cases in which Foreign Workers can do some jobs in Canada (with limits and restrictions) without a Work Permit.

How Long Does it Take to Process a Work Permit Application?

Processing times will vary from a few weeks to a few months, depending on the country in which you apply and on the type of Work Permit that you applied for.

How Long Can a Work Permit be Valid For?

A Work Permit will be issued and valid for a variable period of time. This time depends on a number of factors, including how long is your passport valid for at the time you first enter Canada to work (when your Work Permit is issued), and under which program you applied to come to Canada to work.

If, for example, an Employer hired you after obtaining a Labour Market Impact Assessment or LMIA (see below) that is valid for 2 years, you can get a 2-Year Work Permit; however, if your passport expires 1 year after arriving in Canada to work, your Work Permit will be issued for 1 year only. This is why it is a good idea to renew your passport before you submit your application for a Temporary Resident Visa to come to Canada to work.

Can a Work Permit be Extended?

Yes, Work Permits can be extended, although some have a maximum duration.

What are the Types of Canadian Work Permits?

In general, there are 3 types: those that require an LMIA (Labour Market Impact Assessment); those that are exempt from an LMIA but require a Job Offer; and Open Work Permits.

Each of these has several sub-types, as shown in the table below:

Temporary Foreign Worker (TFW) Program International Mobility Program (IMP) Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)
LMIA Work Permits LMIA-exempt Work Permits Spousal Sponsorship inside Canada
Facilitated LMIA Work Permits (Quebec only) CUSMA (formerly NAFTA) Work Permits Spouse accompanying International Student
Global Talent Stream CETA Work Permits International Experience Canada (IEC)
Francophone Program Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP)
Intra-Company Transfers

How Can I get a Canadian Work Permit?

It depends on the type of Work Permit you are applying for.

In most cases, Work Permits are “closed” or Employer-specific. This means that the Temporary Foreign Worker is only authorized to work for the Employer he/she received the job offer from, and only to do a certain job at a certain location. In that case, most commonly the Employer obtained first an authorization from the Government of Canada (a positive LMIA or Labour Market Impact Assessment) approving the Employer’s business to hire Temporary Foreign Worker(s).

There are also “open” Work Permits. For example, the spouse of a Temporary Foreign Worker that has an Employer-Specific (or “closed”) Work Permit may receive an Open Work Permit; Post-Secondary International Students who receive a Study Permit may also be authorized to work part-time while they study in Canada.

To get started, become a Clearport Member.

Once you are a Member, you will be able to add your information, upload your Resume, evaluate and score your English levels, and create a complete Profile that we can share with Canadian employers.  Employers will see your Profile in English, with details of your Work Experience and Qualifications, your Education, and your English scores, which gives them an objective measure of your English proficiency to see if your level of English matches what is needed on the job.

With your Membership, you get SRT, our English Assessment and Improvement Tool.  It gives you detailed Scores that evidence your English level, plus a free Learning Plan with lessons and activities to improve the areas where you have gaps. SRT gives you great value!

You will be able to use SRT anytime, anywhere, even from your own country, using a PC, Laptop or Notebook (not available for Tablets or Smartphones).

Once you complete SRT, you can add your Scores to your Profile in our data base. With your Membership, you will also be able to apply for open jobs on our website as they are posted, and we will contact you when a job becomes available matching your qualifications.

Click on the image to become a Clearport Worker Member. 

Click on the image to become a Clearport Member

What Do I Need to Work in Canada?

Although it varies depending on the program that you applied to, common documents you will need to include:

  • A legitimate job offer or employment contract extended to you by a Canadian employer.
  • Prove that you have experience and/or knowledge to perform the job.
  • Prove that you are included in a positive LMIA issued to your Employer.
  • A Passport (ideally, valid for longer than you expect your Work Permit to be issued for).
  • A Canadian Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) stamped on your Passport (unless you come from a Visa-exempt country).
  • A Work Permit Letter issued from a Visa Officer at the Canadian Embassy or Consulate where you applied for your TRV.
  • A Work Permit, which is only issued at the Port of Entry (the first airport or border crossing that you arrive to in Canada).

Document Checklist

How Can I find a Job in Canada?

Employers will want to see a Resume in English that details your Work Experience and qualifications, as well as your Education. In most cases, they will also want to see some objective measure of your English proficiency, to see if your level of English matches what is needed on the job. Having a good Resume and an English exam (or French, in some cases) will help you be more attractive to Canadian Employers.

Clearport offers you SRT, which gives you good evidence about your English level and a free Learning Plan to improve it even from your country of origin, so that you can add your English scores with your Resume into our data base. You will also be able to apply for open jobs on our website as they are posted. When a job opening becomes available that matches your qualifications, we will contact you to discuss it and -if you agree- to ask the Employer to give you a job interview.

Who Issues Work Permits?

Work Permits are issued by Officers belonging to a department of the Federal Government of Canada called Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), at the Officer’s discretion.

How Do I Apply for a Work Permit?

It varies depending on the type of Work Permit you apply for.

If you are unsure, you can book an Immigration Consultation with one of our Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants.

Click here to book an Immigration Consultation to Canada

Please beware of advice from “immigration consultants” that are not regulated or in good standing. Only a Certified Canadian Immigration Consultant in good standing with the ICCRC can offer consultancy services for applications to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (IRCC).


Verify Status with ICCRC: link to ICCRC site

Rui Jiang, RCIC # R530523

Dongkai Li, RCIC # R522600

Our Team of Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs) will review your qualifications for the most applicable Immigration Program and Pathway. Then, they will work with you to define a strategy and plan to achieve your goals.

Where and When are Work Permits Issued?

Work Permits are only issued when you arrive at the Port of Entry or POE (the Airport or Border Crossing where you first enter into Canada). When you arrive at the POE, you present your travel and other documents to an IRCC Officer, who then decides to issue or not a Work Permit.

Canada Port of Entry POE

Can I Apply for a Work Permit if I Have a Job Offer?

Not always. Remember that a job offer needs to be supported by a positive LMIA, or be exempt from requiring an LMIA. Aside of this, the job offer must itself be legitimate, and come from a legitimate Employer.

What is an LMIA or Labour Market Impact Assessment?

In brief, a positive LMIA is an authorization that the Government of Canada gives an Employer to hire Temporary Foreign Workers, after the Employer has demonstrated that there is a shortage of Canadians or Permanent Residents to do that job, and that hiring Temporary Foreign Workers will not have a negative impact on the Canadian job market. A reminder: there are some Work Permits that are LMIA-exempt.

How Long Does it Take for an Employer to Get an LMIA?

LMIAs take one or more months to prepare and, once submitted, can take a variable amount of time being processed, depending on many factors that vary over time.

I Have a Work Permit in Canada; Can I Work for Any employer?

Yes, but only if you have an Open Work permit.

However, if your Work Permit is Employer-specific (“closed”), you can only work in Canada for the Employer that gave you the job offer that you used to apply and under which your Work Permit was issued. If you are laid off or terminated but have a job offer from another employer that has a valid LMIA with an open space for you, you could change your Work Permit to work for that employer.

Are a Work Permit and a Visa the Same thing?

No, a Work Permit is not a Visa. If you are traveling to work in Canada, in most cases you will need to have obtained first a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to travel to and to enter Canada.

A Visa is a travel document that allows you to travel to Canada and legally enter the country. Canadian Visas are a document stamped on the traveler’s passport.


To get a Canadian Visa, you must submit an application to a Canadian Embassy or Consulate in your country of origin or the country where you reside in; if there is no Embassy or Consulate there, your application must be submitted to an Embassy or Consulate designated by the Government of Canada to process Visa Applications for the country you are applying from.

Travelers from most countries will need a valid Visa, eTA (Electronic Travel Authorization), or both, to enter Canada.

What is a Temporary Resident Visa or TRV?

A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) is travel document that allows you to travel to Canada for purposes other than tourism.

If you are coming to Canada to work or to study, you will need a TRV unless you are a citizen of one of the few Visa-exempt countries (who, in most cases, need to obtain an Electronic Travel Authorization or eTA to enter Canada).

Click on the image to become a Clearport Worker Member. 

Click on the image to become a Clearport Member


We are Your Door to Canada!

Scroll Up